Our ArmaFlex range of flexible closed-cell insulation materials are designed specifically to meet the strict requirements of the international railway industry. Featuring integrated fire protection, our products provide innovative solutions for a wide range of rail applications, including insulation for heating, ventilation, air-conditioning, refrigeration and plumbing, ensuring improved safety and comfort for passengers.
In addition to heat insulation, ArmaFlex rail products are also highly effective for vibration absorption and rattle prevention for body shell parts and doors, again making for a more pleasant experience for passengers onboard.
Making Trains More Environmentally Friendly
In the modern world, rail is certainly the most environmentally friendly form of transportation, but the demands for comfort and amenities onboard modern trains makes them much heavier and expensive to operate. This is where we come in – our rail insulation materials are designed to help the rail industry maintain its green credentials and advantage by considerably improving energy efficiency.
The closed-cell structure of ArmaFlex rail products contributes to massive energy saving potential for the largest energy-consuming applications on passenger rail vehicles:
- ArmaFlex closed-cell materials help to protect HVAC and mechanical equipment against heat loss and condensation, as well as helping to extend their long-term function.
- As well as protecting hot and cold water pipes against temperature fluctuations, ArmaFlex insulation materials also help to prevent the development of bacteria and mould, and contamination with legionella that is often a by-product of unacceptable temperature fluctuations.
ArmaFlex and Fire Safety Standards
All of our ArmaFlex insulation products comply with EN45545-2 requirements, the European standard for fire safety. Whilst in the past, BS6853 UK fire regulations were enough to prove the fire safety compatibility of materials, in 2018, EN45545-2 became mandatory for all rail vehicles throughout Europe. These standards are put in place with the aim of protecting rail passengers and staff against fire and smoke incidents on board rail vehicles.
ArmaFlex Fire Safety Hazard Levels
In compliance with EN45545-2, all rail products are classified according to requirement sets (R1-R26), depending on where the materials will be used, and fire hazard levels HL1, HL2 and HL3, with HL1 being the lowest requirement.
Our ArmaFlex closed-cell insulation materials are the first to achieve hazard levels HL2 and HL3, R1:
- ArmaFlex Rail SD is the first closed-cell insulation material to achieve HL2, R1. Microban technology in this material makes it well suited for preventing the growth of mould and mildew.
- ArmaFlex Rail SD-C provides a higher level of protection than Rail SD, achieving HL3, R1.
- ArmaFlex Rail ZH is the first halogen-free, closed-cell insulation to achieve HL2, R1. Halogen-free materials feature excellent flame-retardant and low smoke density properties.
- ArmaFlex Rail ZH-C is a halogen-free, closed-cell insulation material, achieving HL3, R1, the most stringent hazard level according to EN45545-2.
For further information on our specialist rail materials, please click here, or for assistance in finding the right product for your application, please call our experienced team on +44 (0) 121 773 8494. We will help you select the insulation material to meet your specific requirements.