Choosing Sealing Materials for The Agriculture Sector
Over time, as a result of the many challenges faced by farmers, the agricultural sector has seen a lot of technological advances. The population is growing, resulting in more demand for agricultural produce, however, available farming land is also shrinking, leaving farmers to produce more food in a much smaller area. At the same time, farmers must also alter their practices to minimise environmental impact. As a result, the demand for innovation in the agriculture sector has increased considerably.
Whilst precision farming machines and technology certainly help farmers to be much more efficient, they can also cause a number of problems. For example, should machinery fail, this can lead to downtime that can be extremely costly for farmers big and small. As a result, investment in the best materials and bespoke designed components is essential to ensure the dependability of key machinery during the busiest farming seasons.
At CB Frost, our knowledge and experience in manufacturing rubber and plastic components means that we have a thorough understanding of the problems within the farming industry, particularly with reference to sealing materials.
We can supply an extensive range of materials to suit sealing applications for farming:
- EPDM is well suited to outdoor applications where machinery is exposed to a variety of weather conditions. It is resistant to UV and ozone, atmospheric ageing and the majority of water-based chemicals and vegetable-based hydraulic oils.
- Viton is well-suited to applications where a strong resistance to extreme temperatures, chemicals and oils is important. For Petrochemical seals and gaskets, Viton A grade is well suited as it resists aggressive hydrocarbons, extreme temperatures and other extreme conditions.
- PTFE is well suited to applications where resistance to high strength chemicals and low friction sealing capabilities are important.
- Nitrile rubber is a high resilience material with an excellent resistance to aliphatic hydrocarbon oils and fluids.
- For general purpose gasket use, 65 shore reinforced natural rubber/SBR blended rubber sheeting with a cotton insertion is ideal.
With our inhouse capabilities, we can also manufacture a wide range of rubber components and products. Our capabilities include, but are not exhaustive of:
- Gaskets and washers cut from sheet material
- Compression moulded components
- Extruded components
To learn more about our services and products, or to ask for advice in choosing the right materials for agriculture sector components, please call out friendly and knowledgeable team on +44 (0)121 773 8494.