HT800 Silicone Sponge for the Rail Sector and Beyond
At CB Frost, we specialise in providing a wide range of materials and products to meet the requirements of the modern engineering industry, particularly the mass transit sector. As a Rogers Corporation preferred converter, we can provide the full range of BISCO® silicones, including BISCO® HT800.
HT800 is a silicone sponge material with medium firmness, offering the lightness of a foam, but with the enhanced sealing capabilities that are more typical of traditional sponge rubber. HT800 is widely used in the rail/mass transit industry; it is BS6853 Cat 1A approved for use in rail vehicles and is LUL (London Underground) approved for use on the London Underground network.
The biggest benefits of HT800
HT800 is a highly versatile material and as a result has an extensive range of benefits that make it an ideal material for use in a wide range of applications within the rail industry as well as various other industries:
- It has excellent memory and low stress relaxation, combined with a good compression set. One of the biggest benefits of these characteristics is the reduction of the maintenance costs that are often associated with gasket failures as a result of compression set and softening.
- Due to its compact cell structure, it benefits from a hugely enhanced sealing performance. It’s an ingress protection rated material that resists the penetration of fire particles, wind driven rain and other foreign bodies.
- HT800 is a widely resilient material; it can withstand exposure to ultra violet rays, ozone, flame and extreme temperatures (both low and high). The benefit of this resilience is that it provides a largely consistent performance in all environments. As a result, it can be used for a vast number of different applications in different environmental conditions.
As a result of its high resistance in any environment, combined with excellent ingress protection, HT800 silicone sponge is most widely used for applications such as environmental seals, protecting against the penetration of air, dust, moisture and light in lighting fixtures, air conditioning units, electronic cabinets and other outdoor enclosures. Due to its compression set, HT800 is also well suited for use in shock absorbing and vibration isolation applications.
Specifically within the rail sector, HT800 is commonly used for applications such as:
- Door seals
- Lighting enclosure gaskets
- HVAC seals
- Gap fillers
- Vibration isolation
- LCD display gaskets
As a Rogers Corporation preferred converter, we have hundreds of metres of HT800 in stock in a wide range of thicknesses: 0.8mm, 1.6mm, 2.4mm, 3.2mm, 4.8mm, 6.4mm, 9.5mm and 12.7mm thick. As well as providing HT800 in sheet form, we can also manufacture a range of products in house, including:
- HT800 silicone sponge gaskets
- HT800 silicone sponge washers
- HT800 silicone sponge strip
If you feel that HT800 silicone sponge could be a suitable material for your application, contact CB Frost and our experienced team will be on hand to advise you in making the right material choice. Call us today on +44 (0)121 773 8494 to discuss your requirements.